Lucille Ball’s Apple John Cobbler
Updated: Apr 24
Makes a 12-quart casserole, about 8 servings.
2-3/4 lbs. Cooking Apples (8 cups thinly sliced, pared)
½ Cup Granulated Sugar
½ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
¼ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon Grated Lemon Peel
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
¼ Cup Water
2 Cups Bisquick Baking Mix
2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
½ Cup Whole Milk
· Heat oven to 375 degrees.
· Grease a 2-quart Casserole.
· Fill casserole with thinly sliced, pared, cooking apples, granulated sugar, nutmeg, ground cinnamon, grated lemon peel, lemon juice, and water.
· Toss apple mixture together with a fork.
· Put casserole in oven, covered, for one hour or until apples are tender.
· Remove casserole from oven and turn oven heat up to 450 degrees.
· In a bowl, combine Bisquick mix and granulated sugar. Then, quickly stir in melted butter and whole milk.
· Drop dough mixture, by rounded tables spoonsful, around top edge of casserole, and one in center.
· Put casserole in oven, uncovered, and bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until biscuits are golden and done.
· Cool slightly. Then serve warm, with vanilla ice cream on top of each serving.
Download the recipe here