Makes a 9” pie.
1-1/2 Cups Flour
½ Cup Granulated Sugar
6 Tablespoons 100% Cocoa Powder
12 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, chilled
9 Tablespoons Vegetable Shortening or Lard, chilled
3 Tablespoons Water, ice-cold
3 Tablespoons Vodka, ice-cold
· Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
· Put flour in a food processor (or bowl and work with a pastry cutter).
· Add granulated sugar.
· Add 100% cocoa powder.
· Add unsalted butter – chilled – cut into ¼” cubes.
· Add vegetable shortening or lard – chilled – cut into ¼” cubes.
· Pulse and scrape down sides.
· Pulse again.
· Pour mixture into a medium-sized bowl.
· Add ice-cold water.
· Mix with a spoon or your hands, just until incorporated.
· Divide into two discs and wrap each in plastic wrap.
· Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
· Pat dough out into a 9” pie pan, forming a thin bottom and sides – crimp top of crust.
· Blind bake the crust by putting a layer of foil over the dough and filling foil with 3 cups of dry beans.
· Cover the crust with foil and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
· Remove the foil and turn down the oven to 350 degrees, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
· Remove crust from oven and let cool completely.
Cream Cheese Filling
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
8-oz. package of Cream Cheese, softened
1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Cups Strawberries, washed and sliced
· In a small bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. This will take 3 to 4 minutes.
· n a separate bowl, beat softened cream cheese until fluffy.
· Add granulated sugar and vanilla extract. Blend together well.
· Using a rubber spatula, pour the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Mix well.
· Spread the combined mixture into the cooled pie crust.
· Arrange the strawberries, cut side down, over the top.
· Cover the pie with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least six hours so the pie can thicken and set up.
1 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
½ Cup Milk Chocolate or Dark Chocolate Chips
· Right before serving, in a microwaveable bowl combine vegetable oil and milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips.
· Microwave for two minutes (may need less time), stirring every 30 seconds until silky and melted together.
· With a fork or a plastic bag with a small snip in the corner, drizzle the chocolate over the strawberries.
Download recipe here