Makes a 9” two-layer cake
1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1-1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
¼ Teaspoon Salt
5 Whole Eggs
1-1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Can Evaporated Milk
1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1/3 Cup Whole Milk
1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
Strawberries and Mandarin Oranges (or whatever fruit you prefer to decorate top of cake)
· Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
· Liberally grease two 9” cake pans.
· Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl – set aside.
· Separate the eggs and beat the whites until stiff. Then gradually beat in ¾ cup of the sugar.
· In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks and ¼ cup of sugar. Add milk and vanilla.
· Pour wet ingredients over the flour mixture and gently fold.
· Gently fold in the egg whites – don’t overmix!
· Pour half of batter into each of two 9” round baking pans.
· Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-20 minutes. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of each pan.
· Let cakes cool completely in the pans, and then stack one on top of the other on a cake platter.
· Poke the top cake throughout the top surface with a fork.
· Pour the pre-mixed evaporated milk, condensed milk, and whole milk all over the top of the cake. As it soaks in, add more of the milk mixture.
· Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
TIP: MAKE THE CAKE ONE DAY IN ADVANCE AND LET SET IN REFRIGERATOR.
· Just before serving, whip the whipping cream and gradually whip in ¼ cup of sugar.
· Spread the whipped cream lightly on the top of the cake, and pipe it on the sides.
· Top with strawberries and mandarin oranges (or whatever fruit you prefer) to decorate the cake.
Watch full episode on our YouTube Channel
Download Recipe here