Updated: Apr 24
Makes a 9”x13” pan.
5 lbs. Ripe yet Firm Peeled Peaches, about 14 medium peaches,
cut into ¼” wedges
¼ Cup Granulated Sugar
¼ Cup Light Brown Sugar
4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, cubed small
3 Tablespoons Cornstarch (increase to 4 TBS if peaches are soft
1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
2 Teaspoons Lemon Zest
1-1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
¼ Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/8 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
12 Tablespoons Cold Unsalted Butter, cubed small
½ Cup Buttermilk
1 Tablespoon Raw or Coarse Sugar (may substitute granulated sugar)
¼ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
· Heat oven to 375 degrees.
· Grease a 9x13” baking dish.
· To the baking dish, add all of the peach components (peaches through salt). Toss everything together, then spread it out evenly.
· Put baking dish in oven for 15 minutes.
· To prepare the topping, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together, and with two knives, cut the butter (no larger than pea-size) into the dry ingredients.
· Whisk the vanilla into the buttermilk. Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the buttermilk. Fold the dough together until it comes together, but don’t overwork it.
· Remove the peaches from the oven, drop the topping by tiny spoonful over the hot peaches, allowing a few holes for the filling to steam.
· Add raw sugar and ground cinnamon to the topping.
· Bake at 375 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until the filling is thick and bubbly, and the topping is golden brown.
· Cool slightly, then serve warm with a scoop of vanilla on top of each serving.
Download the recipe here